· Eleven days after Transdev abandoned negotiations, they finally agreed to return. Bargaining will resume on Wednesday, November 20, and Thursday, November 21. A federal mediator will be involved. Read and share ATU’s full statement here.
· Transdev finally yielded thanks to the immense pressure put on WMATA by strikers, their labor and community allies, and a host of Virginia elected officials who see a potential Connector shutdown approaching. That led WMATA GM Paul Wiedefeld to finally send a letter today calling on “both sides” to return to the table (Local 689 notes that it's made multiple requests to Transdev to return to bargaining).
· Day one of Local 689's secondary, daily picket at WMATA headquarters went well and the union plans to be back every weekday. Check here for the schedule.
· The nearly-10,000 strong public sector unit at WMATA is activating. "We expect to see practice pickets and more in the week ahead," says Local 689.
· Transdev is based in France, and on Wednesday the General Confederation of Labour (CGT), one of that country’s largest trade union confederations, showed their solidarity.
· Tuesday night, strike-supporting activists acting on their own confronted WMATA Board Chair Paul Smedberg outside his home in Alexandria.
· As Local 689 expands to multiple strike fronts, they're rallying in Fairfax on Saturday to support both Cinder Bed and Connector workers. Details here.
· On Monday, Nov 18, Local 689 will be premiering a music video featuring the talents of striker Otis Price. If you’re up for some guerilla projection early Monday morning, email [email protected] for details.
· New rider leaflets arrive Friday. If your group is looking to pick some up, please coordinate with ATU organizer David Heller ([email protected]) and 689’s Brian Wivell ([email protected]). They will have them in hand and can do some Friday and weekend distribution.
· On Thursday, Nov 21, the next WMATA Board meeting is scheduled. DC Jobs with Justice is organizing supporters to pack the room, and Local 689 will be bringing the strikers. Check here for details.
Here’s how you can help:
· Donate $: http://bit.ly/cinderbedstrike
· Donate : http://bit.ly/cinderbedmeals
· Picket in VA (daily): https://facebook.com/events/2310195405775260/
· Picket in DC (weekdays): https://facebook.com/events/553753515478162/
· Rally on Saturday Nov 16: https://facebook.com/events/1388364831342362/
· Pack the WMATA Board room with DCJWJ (Thursday Nov 21): https://facebook.com/events/929720930
· Firewood is key as the weather gets cold. Local 689 has two burn barrels now, and need kindling and logs.
· Download and print this sign then take a photo of yourself, your family, neighbors, or fellow union members and tag @wmata on Twitter and @metroforward on Facebook with words of support for the strikers. Remember to tag @atulocal689 on Twitter or @atulocal689group on Facebook so they can repost.