Located at 10000 New Hampshire Ave., in Silver Spring, MD, ATU’s international headquarters and the conference center stands poised to offer essential support, training and education programs to the resurgent labor and progressive movements in the United States and Canada. The center will be available to all unions and progressive organizations for their own conferences, meetings and trainings.
ATU International purchased the former campus of the National Labor College in 2014. The main building, which was constructed as a state-of-the-art teaching facility, will also house much of the training offered at the conference center. The structure also features a large auditorium/ballroom suitable for meetings and events. Several buildings on the property will continue to be used as student housing.
The center will also continue as the site of the National Workers Memorial created by the AFL-CIO in 2010.
The new campus is only the third location of the union’s international headquarters in its 123-year history. After its founding in 1892, what was then called the Amalgamated Association of Street Car Employees of America established its first headquarters in Detroit, MI.
In 1957 the organization’s international headquarters were moved to Washington, DC at 5025 Wisconsin Ave., NW. By 1978, the building was proving inadequate to the growing union’s needs, and the decision was made to build a new structure at the same location. The new building opened for use in March 1982, and has served as ATU’s international headquarters until the move today.